Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pumpkin picking

I've been trying to write this post for about three days now. Every time I try, I get distracted by something. It's been a busy few days so I'm using pictures to help me remember everything. On Saturday morning I had to take Olivia to get her flu shot, she was really pissed at the doctor for that but she got over it pretty quick. After we got that out of the way, we went to a pumpkin patch. We got there just in time to catch the last hayride, Olivia was unimpressed but I enjoyed it. We walked around for a while, I was bummed that there weren't any animals (besides the horses for the hayride) because I know Olivia loves them. There was a huge corn maze but it was starting to rain by the time we got to it so we decided not to do it. It turned out to be a good choice because on the way to the car, the rain started to pick up and pretty soon after that it was pouring.


 The last picture is of Paul running from the rain.
Olivia loved it though, she was looking up at the sky and smiling.
 
After the pumpkin patch, we went to Walmart to actually buy our pumpkins, they are so much cheaper there. We ended up paying under $3 for each pumpkin, I also got some paint for Livy since she is too young to carve. While we were there, we passed by some fish and Olivia got excited so I took her out of the cart and let her watch them for a while, she was screaming "cat!" like always. I kept correcting her but she looked at me like "whatever mom".
 

When we got home, we let Olivia paint her pumpkin. I decided to give her black paint so it would be Halloween colors, then I used some white to paint her name on it when she was done. She actually didn't make as big of a mess as I was expecting. She liked painting her pumpkin but she liked putting her fingers in the paint more.

 I love how serious she looks on the right, she was really concentrating on her masterpiece.
 
After Olivia went to bed, it was time for me and Paul to carve our pumpkins (one of our favorite traditions)! I got out some wine, Paul had his beer and we went to work. I picked an easy design this year because lets face it, I was exhausted and lazy. Paul picked a complicated one, I warned him not to but he didn't listen (typical). Halfway through he started to realize that it was a bad choice. His pumpkin was supposed to say "Nevermore" above the raven but he improvised and just made some tree branches and a moon. I think it actually came out pretty good for free handing, I was surprised he was able to pull it off. Mine came out okay, the thing on the bottom is supposed to be a bow tie but it looks like a mouth to me. It was a fun weekend, now I'm even more excited for Halloween and trick or treating!
 

Our little pumpkin family.

No comments:

Post a Comment